Saturday 9 August 2014

Feeding your baby/toddler sugary treats

Sorry this is going to be a bit of a rant because there are some issues that need addressing. 

What's the obsession with giving small children sugary treats?? Cake, chocolate, sugary juice?! I don't get it! 

They have their whole adult lives to pig out on chocolate and fizzy drinks if they want to so why are people so obsessed with giving small children these treats? Some believe that if you don't allow them some sugary treats they will go crazy at other children's birthday parties with all the sugar...first off not all parents are going to provide a birthday feast of only junk and second of all this is just rubbish. I didn't have any sugary treats until I was 4 and did I go crazy on sweets and cake? No. In fact I don't really like cake very much at all. I'm not a dessert kind of person at all. I like a few things, rice pudding, jam roly poly, custard, jelly. But I'm not a big sweet tooth person and maybe that's due to me not eating these treats as a toddler. 

I have had random people in shops make comments and it really gets to me. People say things like: 
'why can't she have a bit of cake?' 
'Aww I feel sorry for her being not allowed to have some'
Sorry, you feel sorry for her? Why? Because she eats all her meals because she doesn't fill up on junk during the day? Or is it because she is very happy with some fruit for dessert rather than a slab of cake? In society we push for adults to eat healthily. We have a big push on losing weight but when it comes to young children people seem to be obsessed with pushing parents like me into giving their child junk. It's my choice as a mother to decide what my baby (let me reiterate BABY) eats. A baby does not require sugar and junk in their diet. They require nutrious, healthy food which will help them to grow. 

I've never been one to comment or judge others who chose to give their children junk, sweets and chocolate from a young age. That's your choice as their mother so please don't judge me for not wanting to introduce cake and sugary treats just yet. I'm not hurting anyone by doing so and I feel I'm doing what's best for my family. Mia is growing healthily and happily without sugary treats so I have no reason to introduce it.

Rant over....

No comments:

Post a Comment