Sunday 18 August 2013

Mia's bedtime routine

We never used to have a bedtime routine with Mia when she was very young. Since we co-slept and I was working again and would be shattered by 7pm I just used to go to bed with Mia around 9pm after her last bottle and she would just fall asleep with me. Now, however we want her to sleep in her cot we have had to introduce a routine. Yes, it is quite a strict, rigid routine but it works for our family. 

It all begins around 7pm. 

7pm: biscuit 

7:15pm: bath time using Johnstone bedtime bath - this relaxes Mia and seems to calm her before bed. 

7:45pm: bedtime bottle

8pm: we read Goodnight Moon 

Straight after Mia's story I then turn on her lullaby cd. Quite often Mia will mess around in her cot but I'm ok with that as long as she then puts herself to sleep. She usually falls asleep by 8:30pm although we can have nights where she will fight sleep for quite a while!

I think persistence really is key in any routine. If you give in then it's like starting all over again with introducing the routine.

I would love to hear some of your routines :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment