Tuesday 30 April 2013

Confidence

So I was browsing YouTube earlier and was watching some of the Draw my Life videos and I came across one by 'suzistyles' (you can watch her video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S6iFzpE8xo) where she talks about a teacher when she was at school laughing at her and knocking her confidence because she had asked 'what a novel is?'

This really made me feel sad and got me thinking about how much one comment from a teacher can really stay with a person throughout their childhood and even throughout their life. As a teacher (I must point out I do not work in a school, I work in a private after school tuition centre for children who need extra support or who need an extra challenge) my main goal with all my students is for them to leave my centre brimming with confidence and self-belief each and every time they come to see me. It makes me feel so sad that one comment  can affect a young person throughout their schooling and make them feel belittled and stupid.

Even as adults who are role models for young people it is important to ensure that all young people feel valued and supported and that we ensure that all young people feel confident and that we help them to be the best that they can be.

Do any of you have similar stories about teachers or adults knocking your confidence?


No comments:

Post a Comment