Tuesday 22 October 2013

Public transport

I have decided to save money and use public transport instead of always taking the car. Today we decided to try the train. It's a quick service that goes from our town straight into London where I work without having to change trains or anything. It was actually pretty nice not having to drive for once and Mia slept the whole way. However we struggled to get the pram onto the actual train! The gap between the station edge and the train was massive! Luckily Adam was there this time to help us but I'm not sure I would be able to do it by myself. 

Luckily most London stations have lifts as well which makes travelling with a pram easier. Plus the gap between the train and platform at the London stations I use isn't too bad! 

However, coming home was a different story altogether. Trying to manipulate a buggy through rush hour in a packed out train station and then having to stand for 40 minutes on a packed train with a screaming baby was not fun. Not at all. I forgot to mention no one offers you a set in London! When I was 9 months pregnant it took Adam physically asking someone to get up! People try to avoid eye contact, pretend they haven't seen you standing there with your huge pregnant belly or your screaming baby who just wants her bottle but you can't really give it to her standing up on a moving train! To be quite honest that journey home wound me up! It made me feel negative towards people's manners and politeness. It made me feel that all Londoners are only interested in themselves and do not want to help  another person, never heard of help thy neighbour and all that?!

Anyway I have decided to trial the train again because maybe this was just one bad experience and the next time people will be helpful with getting the buggy on and off the train and considerate with offering seats. I hope I have got it wrong about people being inconsiderate because its very sad to think otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment